CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN ICT (INFORAMTION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY)
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN ICT The era of computer and automated information and communication technology has brought both blessing and disappointments in the work place. Some people have acquired very well paying jobs and others have lost their jobs.
Description of career opportunities in the field of ICT.
Information and communication technology (ICT) has created new job titles as discussed below.
Once installed on the right hardware platform and configured as a server, Network OS provide network management tools to network administrators.
The Network administrator can use the tools to do the following:
- Secure the network against unauthorized access.
- Track network usage and keep a log of all the people who have used the network.
- Ensure that the various systems on the network are able to communicate and work with each other.
- Monitor the use of network resources .
- Set-up a net work
Computer sale representative.
He should have good knowledge in information and communication technology. He should also be self confident persuasive and proficient in business communication.
- Helps in advising customers accordingly in analyzing their needs.
Computer graphics designers and type setters
- Are required in order to design graphical objects and professional publications.
- Used in typesetting books, newspapers and magazines.
- Developing and testing websites
- Maintaining, updating and modifying information on the website to meet new demands by the users.
- Monitoring the access and the use of internet connection by e enforcing security measures.
- Downloading information from the internet
Computer trainer(ICT trainer)
- Train people on how to use the computer and various application programs.
- Developing training references materials
- Guide learners on how to acquire knowledge through carrying out research.
- Advising learners on the best careers in the ICT
- Preparing learners for ICT examinations
Database administrator (DBA)
The major purpose of computerizing an organization is to store data in an organized way for easy access, retrieval and update.
- Design and developing database applications for the organization.
- Setting up security measures needed to control the access to data and information.
- Keeping the database up-to-date by adding new records, modifying or deleting unnecessary records
Information system manager
- Controls, plans, staffs, schedules and monitors all the activities of the ICT department in the organization.
- He tested the impact that an alternative course of action might have on the business.
- Preparing budgets for the department
- Keeping the department inventory records up-to-date.
- Managing the human resource within the department.
- Design and develop computer components such as storage devices, motherboards and other electronic components.
- Determine the electrical power requirements for each computer component.
- Re-engineer the computer components to enhance its functionality and efficiency
- Design computer controlling devices like the robots.
- Developing system and application software
- Developing user and technical documentations for the new software
- Maintain and update the software to meet day-to-day requirements while overcoming challenges.
Large organizations such as insurance companies, banks, manufacturing firms and government agencies hire programmers to work together with system analyst in order to;-
- Write in-house application programs or system programs.
- Customize commercial application packages to suites the organization needs
- Test, debug, install and maintain programs developed or customized for the organization.
This is the person who is responsible for analyzing a company’s needs or problems the designs and develops a computer based information system.
- Good problem solving skills and creativity.
- Good communication skills.
- Must have business knowledge.
- Technical knowledge.
- Review the current the current manual or redundant information system and making recommendations on how to replace it with a more efficient one.
- Working with programmers to construct and test the system.
- Co-coordinating training for users of the new system.
- Troubleshooting computer hardware and software related problems
- Assembling and upgrading computers and their components
- Ensuring that computers accessories are in good condition.
- Assist ingineers in creating some computer components such as storage device, motherboards etc.
- Entering data in the computer for processing.
- Keeping up-to-date records(log files) of all information processing activities.