HJFMRI PROGRAM DIRECTOR VACANCY
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. (HJFMRI) provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to global medical research programs. The HJFMRI, Kisumu West Program has vacancy for PEPFAR Program Director position.
The incumbent will oversee all aspects of the DOD Kisumu West program in support of the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) including fiscal and programmatic oversight. He/she will coordinate with US government, MoH/GoK and local county officials and in country agencies as it relates to the need and goals of care and treatment and research activities supported in Kisumu West by HJF Medical Research International, Inc. (HJFMRI).
1. Provide leadership and coordination to manage PEPFAR supported HJFMRI HIV program activities in Kisumu West District. The Incumbent will oversee the day-to-day implementation of program activities and performance to assure that required results are fully understood and achieved by all staff and partners.
• Identify program vision and goals. The Incumbent will provide technical oversight and
leadership to achieve program objectives.
• Identify and mitigate program risks early before they become full blown problems and keep WRP directors informed.
• Ensure coordination and visibility of PEPFAR HIV Program to MoH/GoK, county government, and clients, highlighting technical and programmatic innovations and strengths.
• Coordinate the development of detailed work plans/budgets on an annual/ad-hoc basis and execute on Statement of Work (SoW) with quarterly review of plans/budgets.
2. Ensure that Program Development & Delivery
• Provide technical support to the design and implementation of country health programs at the US embassy PEPFAR Inter-Agency Technical Team (ITT) level.
• Liaise with technical advisors in HJFMRI headquarters on all programmatic issues including laboratory, operational research/impact evaluations, monitoring and evaluation, HIV clinical care, & reproductive health.
• In cooperation with the HJFMRI M&E Advisor, support the design and development of M&E systems to enable KW program to demonstrate measurable outcomes and impact of their work, SIMS, and facilitate the incorporation of M&E findings into the programmatic reports.
• Assist PIs and Clinical Research Coordinators in protocol development.
• Serve as an investigator on HIV, TB, and malaria research studies.
3. Provide mentoring and capacity building to:
• Facilitate capacity development of health care workers through training and mentorship
while supervising care delivery at the central and outlying clinics.
• Supervise and oversee staff recruitment, development and annual appraisal.
• Support the local program in effective health resource planning and management, including identifying and addressing technical capacity gaps.
• Provide mentoring support to local program technical staff.
• Encourage the development of peer networks of health colleagues in the local program.
4. Collaborate and coordinate both internally and externally to:
• Initiate and maintain collaboration and strategic partnerships with other stakeholders,
government officials, donors, and other public sector organizations.
• Engage with technical advisors, leadership and administrative staff from HJFMRI.
• In cooperation with other HJFMRI Kenya Program Managers, support co-ordination and
ensure synergies across country programs and thematic activities.
• Advise DOD Country Director/Liaison and other relevant colleagues on health-related
developments at country local level.
Qualifications: Skills and Competence
• Education: Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery is required. Master of Public Health (MPH) is preferred.
• At least five years’ experience in managing complex HIV and AIDS care and treatment –
experience with USG HIV and AIDS programs a plus;
• Knowledge of USG HIV/AIDS public health programs, strategies, methods, processes andtechniques used to plan, develop, implement and evaluate results of care and support
programs is required.
• Three years’ experience in supervising a staff from programmatic to finance and
• Ability to coordinator and collaborate with implementing partners, GoK national and county levels, and other stakeholders.
• Knowledge about HIV disease, transmission and prevention based upon training or
experience. Knowledge and experience regarding community and clinic-based programs for HIV prevention and provision of basic care. Program management experience and training in local settings.
• Demonstrated skills in team management to plan, organize and implement multi-disciplinary
interventions are required.
• Experience in overall administrative requirements, budgeting and fiscal management in is required.
• Strong experience in program monitoring, evaluation, and report writing.
• Strong skills in interpretation of program monitoring and evaluation data are required for regular reporting (i.e. ad hoc, Quarterly, Semi-annual, and annually) to HJMRI and PEPFAR.
• Research knowledge in executing and managing research projects
• Strong oral and written communication skills in English
• Ability to troubleshoot technical procedures and meet tight deadlines.
Terms of Employment: One-year renewable contract. The first three months will be probation period.
Applications clearly stating the position and CVs be forwarded to: email@example.com on or before 25 March 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer.