NATIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH LABORATORY DATA ANALYST
NATIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH LABORATORY DATA ANALYST
JOB TITLE: National Public Health Laboratory Data Analyst
REPORTING TO: Head, Department of Laboratory Services
DEPARTMENT/UNIT: Ministry of Health, Department of Laboratory Services Genomic and
DURATION One: (1) Year
DUTY STATION: Genomic and Surveillance Unit, National Public Health Laboratory, Nairobi
Amref Health Africa was founded in 1957 and has since grown to become the largest African-based
international health development organization; currently implementing more than 140 programs,
directly reaching more than 12 million people across 35 African countries. Headquartered in Nairobi,
Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in eight countries in Africa, including Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda,
Ethiopia, Malawi, South Sudan, Zambia and Senegal. Amref’s work in each country responds to local
needs and priorities strengthen existing capacities in communities to take control of their health and
strengthen the local health systems. In additional eleven advocacy and fundraising offices are located in
Europe and North America. In the spirit of Ubuntu, partnership and networking are key elements of
Amref Health Africa’s approach. Amref has a staff complement of over 1,500.
Amref Health Africa is driven by its vision of ‘Lasting health change in Africa’ and its mission ‘To increase
sustainable health access to communities in Africa through solutions in human resources for health,
health service delivery, and investments in health’.
OVERVIEW OF PROJECT
The objective of the project is to support multi pathogen genomic surveillance at the department of
Laboratory Services. This entails grant application wet lab and bioinformatics procedures supporting
genomic surveillance and other related research at the National Public Health Laboratory Services. This
project is under MoH/Amref Health Africa supported by of Global Fund.
The successful candidate will lead all components of data analysis and dissemination at the Department
of Laboratory Services (DLS), Ministry of Health.
• Lead laboratory data analysis component on key issues such as TB, Malaria, COVID-19 surveillance,
Early Infant Diagnosis of HIV, HIV Viral load, and HIV Drug resistance among others.
• Analyse all laboratory data and data from different disease components as well as genomic data with
a view to identify current trends and predict future trends.
• Develop disease heat maps based on data analysed.
• Develop and validate Standard Operating Procedures related to data analysis.
• Generate data collection forms, train on their use, and spearhead data analysis.
• Prepare laboratory data for journal publications and online submissions.
• Develop public dashboards based on data generated.
• Lead the writing of grants with aspects of data analysis.
• Coordinate quality assessment of data generated and/or submitted to the NPHL by affiliated
• Lead quality assurance compliance including ISO certification of the data analysis unit.
• Raise requisitions related to data analysis.
• Prepare policy briefs based on analysed data and advise the Head, DLS on key components of these
• Train and mentor staff and students on laboratory data analysis.
• Any other duties assign by the Head DLS or Head, NPHL.
• Bachelor of Science in Statistics, Biostatistics, or other relevant fields.
• Masters of Science in Statistics applicable to the medical field is an added advantage.
• Minimum of five (5) years of proven experience in analysing big data sets of biomedical nature.
• At least one publication as a lead, second or last author in a recognized journal.
• Proven experience in grant and proposal writing, at least having one successful application.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies
• Should have basic skills in disease mapping.
• Should have basic skills in design and trial of field data collection tools based on forms and digital
• Must have sufficient computer skills applicable to data analysis.
• Must be proficient on R, STATA, SAS, Data analysis software
• Must have sufficient skills to data-mine and synthesize data for conversion to various dashboards
accessible to experts in subject matter and to the public.
• Excellent spoken and written English and Swahili
HOW TO APPLY
Interested? Please visit our website https://amref.org/vacancies/ to make your application. You will be
directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to
submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit
for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. Closing date will be June 28, 2022. Only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and have not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a nonsmoking environment policy.